Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The King has left the building

It took Saudi Arabia a full morning to confirm the King's death. I got a message close to 9, some people read it on the internet at 8, and others before that heard the Quran read on Saudi TV and assumed it at 6. The news was not confirmed until noon. Observers realize that he has passed away a while ago, but the Royal family had to draw the playing field and organize this and that in order to come close to a smooth transition. The royal family fued, terror threats, bitter-sweet relationship with America, and the Devout religious ideology has produced a secretive state that needs ten years to let go of a king (prince abdulla was the de facto ruler, and King Fahad was more of a string puppet, with his body parts pulled from upstairs to pretend he's moving.)

Lets compare that to Bill Clinton's ordeal. I mean when Kenneth Starr came out with the report that Mr. Clinton was in the oval office, with the door a bit open, getting "his penis stimulated" by miss Lewinsky, eating a slice of cold pizza, and on the phone with a congressman at 2 AM?!?!? First thing I thought of was what the fuck am I doing with my life? This guy doesnt have time for decent food or sex, just happy with the cold pizza and the fat chick while discussing welfare and labor reforms and I complain about waking up early? I mean it was humbling. The second thought I got was, isnt that taking the transparency thing too far? I mean, since when were the republicans the Taliban? Weren't they the party that favored individualism and privacy? Wasnt Raegen's slogan "get the government off my back?"

Anyway, back to topic. We have two pictures. The first is a pseudo-government that just bans the flow of information, unless it is pre-approved. Even then, it takes a whole morning to confirm the story from sources quoting sources. The second is a free flow of information, to the point that political figures are painfully not interesting, and people's lives are not interrupted by stopping the stream of live updates. I think the second bit is a healthier option.

4 Comments:

Blogger moodZ said...

Please tell me you didn't go through the entire Starr report!!?

so good ol' billy was only having his "penis stimulated" eh?!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Gebeleizis said...

Hahaha, nice blog! Congratulations!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Desert Island Boy said...

This is just business as usual in KSA. In 1990, Saddam invaded Kuwait on August 2nd. Even after two full days of Kuwaitis pouring through the border, the SNA didn't report the invasion until August 5th.

So this marks a supposed improvement.

7:24 PM  
Blogger The Joker said...

DIB thats very true. I had that story in mind when I wrote this post.

Emoodz, no I didn't read it, jusy heard of it.

And gebeleizis, thank you. I appreciate that very much.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home