Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Interviewing

Today I went to a job interview. A year and a half ago, I was at a job interview. Lets call today's interview A, and the prior one B. I would like to contrast the two experiences:

Interview A: On time.

Interview B: 45 minutes late.

Interview A: Asked about finance, investments, economics, and the movement of the markets.

Interview B: Asked who I knew in the bank... who my father was.. and if he knew him or not.

Interview A: One person asked the questions, two people were jotting down notes.

Interview B: Checking his email and taking phone calls during the interview.

Interview A: Called me up for a certain position, but decided to talk about a higher position during the interview.

Interview B: Said that this company is crap... I'm just wasting my time.. they don't pay well.

Interview A: Offered to buy me lunch the next day, to discuss things more.

Interview B: Sent me a rejection letter without giving me a test.

Interview A: World class bank.

Interview B: Local bank.

Interview A: Expat.

Interview B: Bahraini.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cerebralwaste said...

Just remember all of this when YOU start doing the interviews!


BTW... Did you get the job?????

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

Sad isn't it? We lack a lot of professionalism not only in interviewing technique, but quite a lot of other areas too as in work ethic...

10:52 AM  
Blogger $iLveR GiRL said...

Sums it all up very well.

I attended a "how not to blow ur job interview" seminar this morning and they made it sound hip and rational. I kept thinking.. will it be like that in Bahrain?

Good luck with the job, joker:)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ella said...

good luck with the job, sounds like you've made quite an impression on them.

otherwise, the way u compared the two interviews is something u'd expect back home. The lack of professionalism in our region is patent!!
its about time they do something about it !


get rid of the old, and bring in the new!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Fa6oM said...

good comparison but aching one at the same time, hope you got the job!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems Like the higher IQ the less respect.
I am a Grade from top 15 US Universities...(3000 total)
it's not only Bahrainis that do this by the way...
Before U go for an interview I think U have the right to know the Names, posts, and Education of people meeting U.
I gurrentee U will not get the Job if where Interviewed by a Kerrla (From the University of UP a tree)
this is a common thing in Bahrain...
He is working on his cousin brother...etc for the post...
So refuse any interview with any non Bahraini...
they are not here for development..,this is a take over!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Haitham Salman said...

انت من ولده؟
You, who is your father?

You know it is not going to be a good interview from the first minute..

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home