Monday, March 06, 2006

Its about time

I give credit where credit is due. I am very impressed with the "Spring of Culture", a month-long festival of daily events from musicals, dance, art, theatre.. etc.

I've always argued that this type of publicity is lacking in the area... We get into rat races about Dubai building the tallest building, Bahrain hosting a motor race, Qatar financing the biggest project... but historians think ancient Greece was great not because of their high buildings, but because of their philosophers and thinkers that were ahead of other civilizations that even came after them.

Unfortunately, I didn't attend any of the event because I was extremely busy lately... I should've at least attended a play that was produced by one of my distant relatives.. but if this tells us anything its that the Ministry of Information can be of great benefit if it was utilized in the right channel. I strongly support a semi-governmental commission in charge of setting a cultural foundation.. that gives this country an edge in a region that is extremely lacking.

On a similar note... I was in Amsterdam last week.. and if you're ever there or somewhere near that city please try your best to catch a show called Boom Chicago at the Liedsplien theatre. Its an improv comedy theatre started by a group of americans on a graduation tour after drama school...and thirteen years later its as witty and sharp.

1 Comments:

Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

Well said.. It isn't the buildings which make a nation.. It is how educated and "cultured" its people are !!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home